Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sohar and Rachel Ray

There have been a few exciting developments since I last posted. First off, I'm going to Bahrain on Eid break! Our Eid break is a vacation set by a a lot of things, including the moon and Ramadan. Our Eid break will start after today (woo-hoo for a 3-day week!) and will go till the 14th (another woo-hoo for coming back to a 2-day week!). Now this will be the first time I'll be in Doha without either having to go through orientation or needing to work...so needless to say, I'm excited! I didn't want to travel too much over this break; it's on the shorter side and I just wanted to relax. I short trip to Bahrain however? Totally different! I'll leave Friday morning and come back Sunday. I'll be visiting a friend there; more of a friend-of-a-friend that I met just once, 5 years ago. :) But it was just one of those things- Kristina and I just got a long really well that weekend and had a great time. We've kept in touch off and on and she really helped me a lot through the international process...I'm ready for a couple days of R & R!

At the end of the the last post, I mentioned that I was going to a Sahar feast last Thursday. This was indeed a 7-star resort! I couldn't stop taking pictures!  (my friends were making fun of me) Especially the actual buffet...this thing was increadible! But in just the lobby of the hotel were a couple high end stores---I don't even know the name of the designers--- and in the windows of said stores were 2 dressed that, and we were only guessing, had to be at least $20,000 a piece. Check my facebook for pics because these dresses were insane! There were a lot of banquet rooms surrounding the enourmous Sahar buffet and a desk before you even got to that area. I won't even try to describe the banquet rooms, I wouldn't even know where to begin. David Tuterra would be in heaven though :)

Alli and I found out real quick that we were the unfortunates who showed up first to the party. Sure there were other people milling around and going to their banquet halls (we gave some serious thought to crashing), but none of our people had shown up. So we then decided to explore the place and....WOW! Again, you just have to check out the pictures. When our people finally did show up, we went in the hall and noticed that the "band" showed up too! I'm not going to even attempt to tell you what they were playing but there were four of them and one of them had a drum. That's all I've got. And I don't want to sterotypical, but they played the music that you imagine I'd hear while living in a Muslim country, celebrating a Muslim holiday :) It was pretty cool at times, though, cuz the head singer/chanter guy would many times stand up, keep singing and start clapping, trying to get the crowd into it :) It was fun! And the food..

Well, again you're just going to have to look at the pics. And please spend some time looking at them cuz I really did take a lot of crap while simultaneously looking like a total idiot-tourist-American-white-chick in order to take them. It was a MASSIVE buffet but I think my favortie part had to be the, get this, ICE CREAM CHURNER. They were literally making icecream and serving it out of what looked like a 3 foot tall by 3 foot wide butter churner from (get ready Friends fans) the "days of yore". They'd bring up the stick-churner-thing (yes, my mom grew up on a farm, but no she did not churn butter so that's the best I've got without googling), scrape off however much you'd want, then put it back it. It was yummy and creamy and made up for the fact that there were no delectable-looking mini chocolate tarts leftover by the time we executed Alli's brilliant plan to let our food settle and then get dessert (yes, Alli, I'm blaming you!). The Sahar goes late into the night (1am), but we left at midnight. It was a great time!

Another exciting event in my life this week was the arrival of my boxes from home including many items that I've missed (and won't ever take for grated again: ie- dish wand), AND my new Rachel Ray cookware! It's the adonized set with the orange, rubber grip handles? :) Sooooo excited. I've been scouting out cookeware like my dad scouts deer for the last 18 months and I've finally got it! Unfortunately, I was developing a cold so the maiden voyage for my gorgeous new cookeware was cooking up a mean grilled cheese and some chicken noodle soup from a can. Oh well. There will be lots of time to make up for that!

Love and miss you all...have a good one and before I forget--- Today, one of my all-time, favorite, FABULOUS kids turns 11. Happy birthday, Nicholas Dohrn!

No comments:

Post a Comment