Monday, October 18, 2010

Canadians, the Chicken Big Mac, & Brittany

Two weekends ago, I had the privalege of attending the Canadians in Qatar Thanksgiving at The Ritz. As most (I hope ALL) of you know, no, I'm not Canadian. However, in true Canadian fashion, they opened their doors to non-Canadians everywhere! It was a chance to get dressed up, have some thanksgiving food 6 weeks early, and dance the night away...and we did! It was a great time. Basically like a wedding, only no bridal party to wait to eat for and sadly, no cake. The DJ was great and we busted moves all night! I couldn't help but crack up when more than one Canadian that night said we Americans do Thanksgiving the smart way...always on a weekend and right before Christmas :) Ahhhhh that we do.

Before going to the Canadian Thanksgiving, Alli and I decided that we wanted McDonalds for lunch. This was exciting for me because I hadn't tried any fast food since moving here. I've heard it's always interesting to see how the food is different. First off, in Doha, McDonald's will--get this-- deliver. (I know. Don't get me started.) Alli and I think we should take advantage of this little feature because A) it's cool and B) it's movie day and we're still in our pjs. First hurdle? Finding the phone number. We googled it and got started. After dialing 2 for english, McD's then put us on HOLD for 5 minutes. This was just too much, but we really didn't want to leave the house so we waited (and laughed). Finally, someone came on to take our order. We both wanted the crispy chicken sandwhich meal, so we figured it wouldn't be too difficult. Not so much. 2nd hurdle? They have nothing called the "crispy chicken" sandwich. So I ask (Alli did the holding, so I got stuck with the ordering) what chicken they DO have and roughly heard this: "chicken big mac" (huh???), "chicken morey" (I even repeated it that way to the guy and he said "Yes, chicken morey"), a "chicken arabia" and "mcchicken".  McChicken! Yes! Finally! A name I recognize so I order 2 meals and now comes the biggest challenge of all. 3rd hurdle? Giving them directions. This is by far the biggest hoop because there are no addresses in DOHA! It's all P.O. boxes. (Again, don't get me started.) The McD's guy and I haggle back and forth for a minute or two and then Alli and I start busting up laughing. At this point, it's been well over 15 minutes and we could've been there, back, and eating our McD's by now! We hang up and head out the door. After arriving at the drive-thru, we notice a couple things: there really IS a chicken big mac (whoa) and the "chicken morey" was actually "chicken GOURMET" (otherwise known in the U.S. as the Crispy Chicken so I got it after all!). The Chicken Arabia turned out to be a chicken filet, wrapped in pita bread. So much fun! 

But after all this, I still say the best part of our shinanigans that day happened while we were waiting for our food and listening to some VERY old-school Brittany Spears. In the middle of "Oops, I Did It Again" Alli busted out, and I mean BUSTED OUT some classic dance moves from the video. (I had done this earlier while ordering) Her hands are up in the air, waving around like she just didn't care, when the server opens the window to hand us our food. The music was blaring, so Alli didn't hear her so let's just say she yelped and jumped so high I'm surprised her head didn't hit the roof. Her face was BEET red with embarassment, I'm busting a gut laughing, and the server has a big ole smile on her face as well. We just wanted a taste of home...

No comments:

Post a Comment