Friday, December 3, 2010

Qatar Wins FIFA Bid!

Unknown to many of you, my current country of residence has been bidding for the 2022 FIFA World Cup. The World Cup takes place every four years, in the summer, and lasts for about 3 weeks. There were many challenges facing Qatar in their fight to win the bid, the most concerning being: the heat, the size, and the whole no-alcohol thing :) Qatar put together a great campaign and their hard work paid off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcAi3GLQyOI Last night I had the privalege of being in Qatar when the committe announced that Qatar won the bid! I was watching it on SlingBox, talking to my mom...all over Doha, the horns were blaring! Car horns honked for a good 30 minutes after the announcement that the "Expect Amazing" proposal would in time become a reality. I wish I had been at Aspire sports park or in the Souk watching it with the rest of the nation, but it was still a proud and special moment. Many say the voters were crazy to pick Qatar, a country smaller than Connecticut with temps that reach higher than 120 degrees, a place where many fans won't exactly be excited to travel ... and honestly I'd have to agree. But I also believe Qatar can and will pull off an amazing World Cup and I'm glad the world will get to see a totally different side to this region of the world. My wish is that I won't be here during the preparation & building because I'm not sure my sanity could take it :) Mabrouk, Qatar! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T8fBzZxRHw

No comments:

Post a Comment