Sunday, August 8, 2010

Boxes, Boxes and Bazinga!

I'll warn you right now, this post may not be all that exciting to you lovely readers but it is to me because today I finally got my BOXES!!! (In case you didn't gather that from the title.) They were actually here when I arrived, but were sent to another teacher at the school...gotta love that! What was great was that the school delivered the boxes to my classroom and my apartment so no heavy lifting for me :) As I opened them all up, two things occured to me: seeing all of your things from home actually can make you homesick and customs doesn't care AT ALL about your stuff. Everytime I took something out I was reminded of who gave it to me, where I got it, or where it was in my home. Good, but kinda sad. From sad, I moved on to frustrated at the state of which everything was in. Most of the boxes looked like they had been crushed and/or opened, searched through, and literally thrown back together. One of my boxes of teacher things was entirely SPLIT down one side. Biggest casualty of the entire trip? My Cranium game. Kristin, I'm relieved that you weren't here to see the destruction. It was in pristine condition when I sent it here (largely due to the fact that I never had an opportunity to play it) and now, well...the prognosis doesn't look good. A lot of duct tape and baggies will be involved. (Now that I mention it, I haven't seen duct tape here at all.) I haven't worked up the courage yet to look at the boxes with all of my framed pictures in them. Hold your breath and say a prayer please.

Today, I was also motivated enough to finally clear out some of my extra boxes and clutter in my apt-- things that accumulate from buying a toaster, hairdryer, drinking glasses, etc. (I now have quite the collection in the spare room.) It took a lot longer than I thought, but it was awesome to finally put some personal touches into this place. This much tile isn't exactly homey. My kitchen looks so fun now with utensils ready to use and really pretty, filled canisters sitting on the counter. My entertainment center now has pictures and books on top and the glass cabinet actually holds some movies and DVDs! It's slowly but surely becoming home.

Today at school, a fellow teacher gave me a wonderful gift...well wonderful for someone who has no tv. She gave me a website that allows me to watch a TON of various tv shows for free online. What's the big deal you ask? A lot of the tv sites that let you watch episodes you've missed don't work out here and it's been tough not to at least have some background noise. And I've really been missing my Big Bang Theory. This site was great, especially since I had a lot of down time today at work (too boring to explain). I watched a couple episodes, laughed as always at my pal Sheldon (who's catch phrase is "Bazinga"), and sorted through my boxes. These little touches from home are what I'm finding to be the key to not getting too homesick. Speaking of, I've left the best "little touch of home" for the end. I opened up the last box without having any clue as to what could be left to find when my eyes spotted something I'd been missing terribly since I left the States: two MEGA ROLLS of Charmin Ultra! I'd forgotten that I packed them...I'm so glad I decided to throw them in when I realized I had extra leftover in Vegas. This should easily last me 'till I get the big package from Mom in a couple weeks :)

Till next time...love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment