Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hooray for MegaMart & Pedicures!

This weekend (for me, Friday and Saturday), I had the pleasure of discovering a lovely gem known as MegaMart. This is one of many grocery stores in Doha, but what makes it special is the fact that they carry many US brands. It's a little bit like TJ Max...the good stuff is there, but you just have to find it :) At MegaMart, I found some fabulous treasures like: Yoplait yogurt (thick & creamy light even!), Velveeta Shells & Cheese, Frosted Shredded Wheat (my favorite!), REAL Diet Coke (w/the normal tab & everything!), 1 pound box of Aunt Jemima, & Kozy Shack Rice Pudding. These are small victories, yes, but significant ones as well...not to mention EXPENSIVE. If I could, I'd put up a little multiple choice quiz for all of you, but I have enough of those to conjur up in the next few months, so instead of making you guess, I'll tell you how much these treasures were. Yogurt- $1.90, Diet Coke (per can)-$1.02, Rice Pudding (4 pack)- $5.27, Shells & Cheese-$3.75, pancake mix- $2.67, and Mini-Wheats- $3.97 (on sale). So it's hit and miss with the products and the prices. Good thing I don't pay rent! There is also an amazing selection of produce from all over the world. It's fun looking at a pack of plums and knowing they're from Lebenon. I'm going to have fun trying out some new foods, but on this day, I wasn't feeling too brave :) By far the best thing I found when I was there was Scottish ice cream. It's called Mackie's of Scottland and it's made with what they call "double cream", which I think basically means it has double the fat content of regular cream. It's fabulous, that's all I can say. 

As many good intentions as I had for going into school Friday so I could enjoy my Saturday, it didn't happen. Today I got there at 10:30 having only eaten a slice of PB on toast and some of my new yogurt :), and I figured my hunder would be good motivation not to let myself stay too long at work. That didn't happen either. Because it's the weekend, I couldn't eat at school and because it's Ramadan, I couldn't go get anything else to eat soooooo by the time I left at 5:00 today, I was a tad on the hungry side! I don't know how the Muslim community does it; no wonder they're flying frantically down the road almost running me over (more so than usual) after sunset...they want to go home and eat. I would too!

After about an hour of work today, my friend/fellow 5th grade team member Lauren and I went to go get a MUCH needed pedicure. It's the desert, it's had on your feet, and most of the time, I'm wearing sandles so to school so it's completely justified! :) We had a great time and my feet are no longer embarassing, ready to go for the first day of school. (P.S.- the color is called Sweet Temptation. I like that)

First day of school. I can NOT believe it's the first day of school tomorrow and that I've almost been here for two weeks. Seems like much longer in so many ways. It's great to have experienced teachers around me who pop in every now and then just to see how I'm doing and it's also great to have friends who are in the same boat I am. I can't say enough what a fantastic place this is. I still miss home and my family and babies terribly, but knowing I'd be away from them anyway if I'd have gone back to Vegas somehow makes it easier. Don't get me wrong people, as much as I love it here, please know that I'm still counting down the days 'till I come home for Christmas! Love you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment