Monday, August 9, 2010

Small Victories and Shawarma

Today was an extremely productive one. While walking to get some coffee at school (from an acutally coffee SHOP, I might add...that's right, we have one at school and as of tomorrow, a Subway as well :)), it hit me all of the sudden that I'm actually starting to feel like I know my way around a little bit. That only took a week. Being at ASD reminds me a lot of my first time at UNI. I worried so much about getting lost or knowing my way around, but then all of the sudden I was learning short cuts and the best places to park. It's finally starting to happen here and thank goodness cuz this place is HUGE!

Even the driving and finding my way around my neighborhood is improving. I was able to leave school today, drive to the matress store (where I'd never been), on the first try no less, back to the mall to buy some groceries and get my tv (yes, it was a big purchasing day for me), then back-track it all the way back to my apt without turning around or getting lost ONCE. Those of you who've ever manuevered a new city know how huge this is...those of you living in Doha can appreciate it even more. You learn VERY quickly here that you don't find your way around by navigating streets...you use landmarks :) Thursday's a big day, since both my new matress (ooooo it's so comfy) and my new tv are both being delivered. Here's hopin that it actually happens! (My friend Kristen's tv is now 3 days late)

At school, I was able to finish unpacking my school stuff and start making some much needed to-do lists. I also received training in what will be our gradebook and therefore, FINALLY got to see my homeroom class list. 20 students so far...one of them is the son of a Sheik. Awesome. :) They are a pretty even mix of North Americans, Europeans, and Qatari natives. I can't wait to meet them.

We ended the day with a Shawarma lunch...complete with hummus/olive oil spread in a perfect wavy design on the tray. Basically, Shawarma (google or wiki it) is a wrap of grilled meet. The chefs had the meet on a huge skewer outside our cafeteria--that alone is a feat, considering it was about 112 degrees and 300% humidity---and they just shaved it off and rolled it up. It was fabulous! My good friend, May always gets recipes and sure enough, she came back with not only her 2nd shawarma wrap, but also a notebook with the marinade recipe of tumeric, lemon juice, garlic, cumin and salt/pepper (I think that's all of it). My brother will appreciate this: they put dill pickles in the shawarma :) Such a pleasant suprise...I'm seeing pickles more and more as I eat out here. I'll have to look into that, but I'm certainly not complaining.

As we ate, are wonderful new Director talked to us about it being our last day of orientation. It was absolutely unreal to listen to her read about all of the things we've done and gone through over the last 7 days including: getting picked up at the airport, caravaning to school, going to see our classroom for the first time, meeting our friends...I honestly began to get a little choked up. This week has been so special and memorable not only due to the incredible people I've met & relationships that I've already built, but because each day was a constant reminder that this truly was what God had planned for me. His hand has been on me throughout this entire process; in the little things like protecting me amongst all these crazy drivers, providing Nutella :) and big things such as giving me amazing friends and understanding people who have been there for me at every moment. ASD truly is a special place to be...and I haven't even started teaching yet! I'm grateful to our director, who I swear could double as my mother, for pointing out to us just how far we come in only a week.

Tomorrow I'm officially not "new staff", but just "staff".  The entire faculty will get together for a "Ritz" breakfast; the dining hall looked like it was being set up for a wedding. Pictures to follow! What I'm most excited for is that I finally get to meet Jen and Lauren, who are two ASD teachers that I feel I already know. They've been there for me for every question or worry I've had in the last 6 months...they added me to their facebooks within two weeks of me getting hired, for cryin out loud! Yeah it should definitely be a good one :) G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment